Thursday, November 25, 2010

Tradition

These days my family is traditionless.

There are no more thanksgiving dinners, and the decorations for Christmas dwindle each year.

Halloween is, and always has been, a non entity.

We do not sit on the back porch each Saturday morning as we used to.
But again, my sister and I have moved away.

So much of life takes from living,
and strangles out tradition.

My parents are aging,
and my sister and I are gone.

My aunt and uncle live almost an hour away,

and there are no other Garretts on this half of the country.

It makes me ache, slightly.

And these walls are slowly becoming foreign,
this house is less and less permanent with each visit.

Its all growing up, I presume.

But one day, when I have a family of my own, we won't be traditionless.

My children will be raised in a way where tradition is integral,
imperative.

They'll feel the magic of Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Halloween? We're going to go insane on Halloween to make up for all the times I missed out on.

There will also be the pagan traditions,
we'll celebrate the seasons and our ancestors.

And then whichever religion their mother, who ever that may be, is -
those traditions will carry in also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuIedgs5tdE&feature=related

That is all.

1 comment:

Inthea-Jean said...

I know exactly what you mean brother, and it makes me very sad as well. I am also really aching for traditions rooted in people and seasons. But know this: I'm coming home for Christmas and bringing tradition with me!