Saturday, April 3, 2010

I Can't help but enjoy soft, simple silence.


I Can't help but enjoy soft, simple silence. The world is such a complicated place, Its nice to step back from all of the noise. They say that our hearing is becoming conditioned in such a way that we are starting to rely on the clear, clean sounds of our highly polished MP3s. All I know is that if I stand outside, or on occasion in the woods, my ears almost hurt with the silence. I can feel it, like mosquitoes crawling and flapping on the sides of my head and yet giving off no vibration. And when you hear a bird leap from the ground and its wings press against the air, its as if an entire symphony dropped every instrument all at once. You feel alone, uncomfortable. Where are the news anchors? Where are the people whose every move is broadcast to millions? Where is the earphone connected to your iPod? Its a scary experience. But if you stand for long enough, you will realize that it is not so quiet. The trees hum with the wind as it glides through their leaves and needles. The air buzzes with tiny insects and you can hear small, furry things crunching though the underbrush. But its what happens inside that is the most tumultuous, the most raging of any storm created by the trail of ants at your feet.

You lose control of your thoughts.

In this time, our thoughts are very guided. With class, television, schedules, and religion, our every thought is herded and shaped. Whether bad or good, I really don't know. I just know that its the way of things. But outside, where the world moves differently, you will lose control of your thoughts. For me, it feels as if the channel that the water of my mind flowed through suddenly becomes a flat plane, an ordinary white surface, and so my thoughts have nowhere to go. It is almost a fight, a struggle. But I find that once I am past this, things become beautiful.

You are,
the trees are,
the earth is,
and in each moment of silence the deity that is your mind becomes manifest in pure, unguided, unfettered emotion.

And for me, that emotion is almost always love.

No comments: