Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sabbath for pagans




Growing up as a Seventh-Day Adventist, my family and I observed what we called 'The Sabbath'. The word comes from "Middle English sabat, from Anglo-French & Old English, from Latin sabbatum, from Greek sabbaton, from Hebrew shabbāth, literally, rest" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sabbath.) In the Adventist denomination of Christianity, the main purpose of the Sabbath is to rest and commune with the Abrahamic god. Working and engaging in mundane activities is often prohibited.
Having moved away from Adventism, one thing I have kept with me is the basic concept of the Sabbath, although I don't call it that anymore. I mean, how could taking a full day to relax not sound tantalizing? I guess now is the time that I explain how I've adapted this concept for this current portion of my life, paganism.
We all need to rest. Many people deny it, or so it seems. Everybody is on the run, working at awful hours, and stretching their abilities to their absolute limit. I think, as many others do, that this constant on the go attitude is a bit silly. Look at our not so distant relatives in the 'mammal class'. Most, as far as I know, spend the majority of the day resting. relaxing. Taking it easy. Granted, doing this everyday is just not possible for us, sadly. But I've found that taking one full 24 hour period to ground myself is integral to my survival.
I usually use this day for specific things. Namely I like to pursue my interests. Not the lazy, brain numbing ones (which are important at the end of a long day), but the interests that make me, me. for example, I play the guitar or the dulcimer. I go for a walk, I read a book, I work on some poetry, I simply sit and think. I also use this day to Commune with deity, do ritual, honor the earth, and experience the elements. A full 24 hours to see love and beauty in the world is very revitalizing. I also use it to get in touch with my ancestors, those who are the reason that I am here today.
I say "sabbath for pagans", but really anybody could do this. Even those who are not spiritually or religiously inclined could benefit. Sometimes I feel like I just can't take the time off, and only on the most rare occasions is this true. Usually the rest time means I have to make it. Usually by doing extra chores and homework on Friday afternoon. But trust me, an extra 2 hours on Friday is worth the 24 on Saturday (or whichever day works for you).

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the matter :)

No comments: