Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The American Dream

I've never heard it explained explicitly, but I always imagined the American dream to involve carving out a career for yourself via college degree, make a good amount of money, get married and have at least two children, retire young and then die peacefully.

Nothing wrong with that. I just don't care about most of it, really. I mean, I do to the extent of the fact that I don't want to be homeless, but I wouldn't say its my dream. If I had my perfect life, it wouldn't be much different.

If this was an evening in my ideal life, I would be sitting with someone special on the back porch of, well somewhere. There would be birds flitting through tall grass and the sun would be slowly setting. Head on my shoulder and my arm around her, what else would there be for me to want?

"...and we'll follow animal tracks
to a tree in the woods and a hole in the leaves,
we'll see the bright baby eyes of a chickadee"

No comments: